The loss of one or more teeth can be devastating … whether due to trauma, disease, or deep decay, missing teeth should be replaced. While you have options, the choice that provides an excellent quality of life and beautiful result is replacement with dental implants. When you meet with your implant dentist, you will discuss your choices and learn the important advantages of dental implants over other methods of tooth replacement.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Chewing: Once your procedure is completed, you will be able to enjoy all your favorite foods without the fear of slippage or discomfort. Your nutrition is important for your overall health; and missing dentition can lead to a diet that deprives you of many healthy and enjoyable foods.
- Speaking: We rely on our tongue and teeth to pronounce words correctly. Missing teeth can change the way we speak perhaps resulting in a lisp or slurring certain word sounds.
- Permanence: Once a dental implant has been placed, it will be integrated by bone making it a permanent part of your dental structure. Made from titanium, the implant is designed to last a lifetime providing support for the cosmetic enhancement affixed to it.
- Ease of Care: You won’t need to take it out and store it in a cup overnight. You will just brush and floss daily continuing the same standard of dental care you did before tooth loss occurred.
- Appearance: This is important for a couple of reasons. First of all, tooth loss can be embarrassing leading to diminished self-confidence. But even more importantly, the bone that once held teeth in place will begin to disintegrate which can result in facial changes. This bone loss can negatively affect neighboring teeth. Dental implants actually promote bone strength preventing further damage.
Getting Started with Dental Implants
Your implant dentist will discuss the treatment process and talk about your overall health. An in-depth dental exam will follow including x-rays to determine bone strength where the implant is needed. Bone augmentation may be required.
Tobacco use is to be discontinued as it can lead to implant failure. You will be shown how to care for the implant throughout the healing process to prevent infection, another cause of implant loss.
Your commitment and care will result in a permanent and beautiful solution to tooth loss that will serve you well for your lifetime.
To learn more about your tooth replacement options, contact our team at A Smile Above today.